Every family is unique. At McMichen, Cinami & Demps, we’ve worked with countless Florida families over the years, and yet we know that yours isn’t quite like any other.
Family law can be complicated, and it’s not uncommon for multiple legal issues to arise within the same dispute. That’s why it’s so important to work with a deeply experienced attorney — a proven legal professional whose guidance and advocacy can make a critical difference in the outcome of your case.
Our firm’s entire practice is dedicated to family law. We are well versed in all the relevant issues, the very latest legal developments, and the most effective strategies (including the ones the other side will likely employ).
This page provides an overview of some of our most common practice areas — the disputes and procedures we handle most often.
Our experienced Orlando family law attorneys are ready to devise unique, custom, and effective solutions that meet your and your family’s specific needs.
Table of Contents
Florida family law practice areas:
• Divorce: Our comprehensive Orlando divorce lawyer services are available for contested and uncontested divorces alike. Whether you and your spouse are on good terms or bad, we have a plethora of effective strategies to get you where you want to be. We are also available to handle complex cases involving high net worth, adultery, domestic violence, extensive property division, or other sensitive issues.
• Child custody, time sharing and visitation:To the divorcing parent, nothing matters more than child custody. We understand that, and we will approach these cases with all the passion, care, and concern we’d employ if our own children were involved. We consider it a privilege and an enormous responsibility to help you fight for the children you love. We take that responsibility very seriously. Whether you’re approaching a child custody dispute as part of a divorce or any other kind of dispute (paternity actions, for example), we can help. Ask about our ideas for child custody mediation and negotiation (they can be very effective).
• Child support: Whether you are likely to pay or receive child support, you deserve to know that the support payments are reasonable and fair in terms of value and scheduling. Our experienced Orlando divorce lawyers can help you ensure that your voice is heard and the determinations are fair.
• Domestic violence: Both the accuser and the accused have rights under Florida law. We recognize that these cases are deeply sensitive and deserve our utmost in passion, compassion, and respect. Whether you’ve been abused or are concerned about the other side’s history of abuse, we will help you tell your story and fight back against the other side, protecting your family in the process.
• Prenuptial / Postnuptial Agreements: A prenuptial or postnuptial agreement can be used to define property ownership and allocation prior to (or during the course of) your marriage, as well as to outline the terms for alimony and other obligations in the event of divorce.
• Parental rights: When it comes to parental rights in Florida, the relevant legal standard is “the best interests of the child.” That doesn’t mean, though, that parents’ interests and rights get ignored. McMichen, Cinami & Demps can help by making a compelling case for your ability to lovingly meet your children’s every need.
• Collaborative law: In a collaborative divorce, each party retains a separate divorce lawyer for purposes of negotiating an out-of-court settlement. Participants agree to proceed honestly and respectfully at all times.
• Mediation: An increasingly popular and often-successful approach to out-of-court conflict resolution. Not unlike collaborative law, in mediation, each party retains his or her own legal counsel while objective, third-party professionals work with them to effect a compromise. Our attorneys have many years of experience in guiding clients through the entire mediation process and advocating for their best interests during negotiation.
• Enforcing Alimony and/or Child Support: If the other side fails to comply with court orders, our attorneys can help you seek swift and resolute enforcement. These cases often involve time sharing, visitation, child support, alimony, or failure to transfer property.
• Appeals: While reversals of family law court orders on appeal are difficult, they are not impossible. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a family law matter, an appeal may be a reasonable option. Our experienced Orlando family law attorneys can help you decide.
• Modifications: Families change over time. Family law court orders and agreements sometimes need to change along with them. Whether you’re seeking modification or opposing the other side’s request for one, we can help.
• Recovering Attorney’s Fees: One party is sometimes entitled to receive attorney’s fees from the other, especially where there is a disparity in income or assets, or when one party has taken frivolous or unfounded legal action against the other. Our team can help you determine whether attorney’s fees might be recoverable in your case.
Additional Services: Estate Planning, Trial, and Beyond
We also assist clients with updating wills or making other changes after a change in your family’s configuration or in the event of a divorce.
Whatever your legal concerns, we know your rights and we know how to obtain a settlement that fully accommodates your needs and those of your children. We are skilled negotiators and litigators, with over 50 years of combined experience. We will always try to reach a fair settlement without the pain and expense of a lengthy court battle. However, we will not hesitate to go to trial if that’s what it takes to get the results you deserve.
Schedule an Initial Consultation with Our Orlando Family Law Attorneys
If you’re looking for an Orlando divorce lawyer or family law attorney you can trust, you can count on McMichen, Cinami & Demps. Our divorce lawyers are prepared to give you an honest assessment of the legal issues involved in your case and to make preliminary recommendations with no further obligation. Contact our offices today to find out how we can help you! We can be reached by phone at 407-898-2161 or you may fill out the online contact form.